Young Drivers at Work Workshop
Young drivers at work encounter, and often create, a higher level of risk than their older and more experienced counterparts. The highest risk drivers on our roads are young drivers and at-work drivers. Young drivers who drive for work fall into both groups and consequently face the combined risks of their relative inexperience and the pressures of driving for work.
RoSPA is now offering this workshop as an in-company training solution. The Young Driver at Work Workshop is designed to help this target market understand the risks they face and the skills they need when driving for work. In addition, it will help the employer identify new ways to help young drivers.
RoSPA carried out an extensive study of 17-24 year old drivers who drive for work and their employers which resulted in the development and trial of The Young Drivers at Work Workshop. The project has since been awarded a Prince Michael International Road Safety Award.
Find out more about this study [Road Safety].
What are the benefits?
The workshop aims to:
- Improve the attitudes and behaviour of young at-work driver
- Inform the development of organisations' road risk policies
- Facilitate the consultation of the whole organisation about work-related road safety policies and gauge how well they are followed
The workshop will typically last between two to four hours and is designed for groups of 8-15 drivers aged between 17 and 24. It comprises several activities, each with its own set of learning outcomes.
- Understand how inexperience can increase the risk of being involved in a crash
- Better understanding of how driving for work can lead to increased risk especially amongst younger drivers
- Identify the factors which can result in unsafe driving when at work
- Help the driver to understand how their employer can be a source of support
- Greater awareness of how the organisation's driving for work policies can be applied and help the driver
- Identify the wider social pressures which can lead to unsafe driving and how to overcome them
- Understand how self-reflection is important in lifelong learning to drive
Who should attend?
Any young person aged between 17 -24 years who drives for work.
RoSPA offer two workshop delivery options to ensure your organisation gets the most out of these workshops.
- RoSPA Facilitated Workshop: Two RoSPA trainers will co-ordinate, organise and deliver the workshop at your company's premises. The facilitators will then discuss and evaluate the session and the issues raised, and offer advice on how to encourage safer driving.
- RoSPA Assisted Workshop: One RoSPA trainer will work alongside a staff member from your organisation to prepare and deliver the session. This options is ideal for firms wishing to train an employee to run these workshops internally.
Note: This course is actually half a day however it can be booked as a full day in which 2 sessions will be delivered.
How to book / Find out more
Contact us by email or phone
Talk to an adviser online
Email this page to a colleague
Note: Prices exclude VAT.
||Call for prices
Call for prices
Also available to download: Young Drivers at Work Workshop (PDF 69kb)
To help young drivers who drive for work and their employers to understand the risks they face and the additional skills they need when driving for work. In addition, to identify new ways to help the younger driver.
- Establish beliefs, attitudes and knowledge
- What is different with driving at work?
- What causes an accident at work?
- Journey planning
- The vehicle
- Young person's occupational road risk policy
- Employer's activity
- Scenarios based discussions
Who should attend?
Any young driver (17-24 years) who drives for work
This workshop is classroom based and is for groups of 8-15 drivers aged between 17 and 24 years.
The workshop has been developed based on findings from the award winning RoSPA Young Drivers at Work Project.
The project was presented with the Prince Michael International Road Safety Award in November 2010.
Benefits to client
- Reduce the risk of accidents
- Help young drivers to make safe decisions
- Provide a method of monitoring and reviewing driving for work policies and safety culture
- Ensure safer driving from the bottom up - consulting the whole organisation about work-related road safety policies and gauging how well they are followed
Duration & Struture
- Half day – 1 session
- Full day – 2 sessions
RoSPA Facilitated Workshop – Two RoSPA facilitators organise and deliver the full workshop.
RoSPA Assisted Workshop – One RoSPA facilitator and one member of staff from the organisation will work together to prepare organise and deliver the workshop.
Training can be undertaken at customers' premises or at a mutually agreed location.
You might also be interested in the following courses/products:
For all Driver Training enquiries:
Telephone: +44 (0)121 248 2233
Become a RoSPA Member
As a RoSPA Member you will pay Member Prices for courses and enjoy a range of other benefits including:
Find out more about RoSPA Membership
- 15% discount off Stocksigns safety signs
- Free telephone consultancy
- Half price advertising in all RoSPA Journals
- Subscription to one or more RoSPA Journals
- The RoSPA Infocentre
- The exclusive RoSPA Member Zone
- RoSPA member logo* and membership certificate
- Corporate membership
Please note: All sales calls are recorded for quality and training purposes.
Share this page: