Safer People Handling Trainers Re-certification
Few people realise that back pain causes more hours of suffering than all other causes put together. Of course, some pains are more intense - but they are usually of shorter duration. The problem with back pain is that though the pain from an injured back can be eased, it can rarely be cured. So, regrettably, back pain is often for life.
The key to safer people handling is not only an awareness of handling techniques and the use of equipment, but also an understanding of how moving and handling is part of health and safety for everyone - carer, patient and client - and how these fit into the wider context of risk management. The moving and handling of people is a practical science, employing similar principles to those used in everyday manual handling.
Re-qualification is vital to prevent poor practices developing and to keep skills and knowledge up to date.
This course now uses a BACK-TRACK™ device, a motion-sensor, which allows delegates to try the device on the course, enhancing their learning experience.
The BACK-TRACK™ device is a small clip on device, which is worn on the belt of delegates to detect, monitor and record back motion thereby identifying posture related issues and risks.
Who should attend?
Those who have already achieved a RoSPA Safer People Handling Trainers certificate.
How to book / Find out more
Contact us by email or phone
Talk to an adviser online
Email this page to a colleague
Note: Prices exclude VAT.
Also available to download: Safer People Handling Trainers (Re-qualification) Course (PDF 67kb)
This occupational safety training course aims to ensure that delegates have maintained the practical skills and knowledge required for training and educating others in the theory and practice of safer moving and handling for people in health and social care settings, and to update delegates on recent changes and developments.
On completion delegates should be able to:
- Explain the role of relevant legislation and guidelines relating to safer moving and handling and their role as a trainer
- Describe how the musculoskeletal system can be used effectively to reduce the risk of injury and contribute to efficient and effective moving and handling
- Explain and demonstrate safe handling principles and techniques
- Explain and demonstrate how they will safely and effectively solve moving and handling problems in the workplace.
Who should attend?
Those with responsibility for training and educating others in the theory and practice of safer moving and handling of people.
Delegates should have experience in moving and handling people, and have successfully completed the RoSPA Safer People Handling Trainers course or equivalent. Delegates should also regularly deliver training and education packages.
Delegates are required to compile a portfolio of evidence of training/education given to date.
- The extent of back pain and musculoskeletal injury
- The structure and function of the spine
- The principles of biomechanics and body dynamics in relation to posture and people handling
- Safer moving and handling techniques and problem solving
- People handling assessments and documentation
- Selection and use of moving and handling equipment
- Legal requirements and guidelines relevant to the role of the trainer.
Those who complete the course and pass the practical exam will be awarded a RoSPA Safer People Handling Trainers Certificate which is valid for three years.
You might also be interested in the following occupational safety training courses:
The Occupational Safety [Occupational Safety] section of the website has a wealth of advice and information on all areas of safety at work, in addition to details of our current campaigns, resources, conferences and affiliated groups.
Call: +44 (0)121 248 2233 (Birmingham) +44 (0)131 449 9378 (Edinburgh) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
About RoSPA’s Training Services...
As the leading voice in health and safety, and the longest-running safety organisation in the UK, RoSPA has used its vast experience to develop its range of training courses and delivery methods.
- Why choose RoSPA?
- Selecting the right course for you
- Professional Development
Safety professionals on the route to CMIOSH status cannot do better than to study and further their career with RoSPA.
- Core Criteria
RoSPA has worked with key organisations to establish a set of core criteria which will be widely recognised as a benchmark of achievement in health and safety.
- Trainers & Facilities
RoSPA’s clients are very loyal – returning time and time again for training and consultancy services. This is hardly surprising considering the high calibre of RoSPA’s trainers and facilities.
Find out more about our training services»
Become a RoSPA Member
As a RoSPA Member you will pay Member Prices for courses and enjoy a range of other benefits including:
Find out more about RoSPA Membership
- 15% discount off Stocksigns safety signs
- Free telephone consultancy
- Half price advertising in all RoSPA Journals
- Subscription to one or more RoSPA Journals
- The RoSPA Infocentre
- The exclusive RoSPA Member Zone
- RoSPA member logo* and membership certificate
- Corporate membership
Please note: All sales calls are recorded for quality and training purposes.
Share this page: