This course aims to raise awareness of the dangers caused when large vehicles reverse, and introduces practical techniques and hand signals to assist drivers with this manoeuvre. Delegates will also be trained in the necessary skills to assist other drivers and banksmen.
By the end of the course, delegates should be able to:
- Ensure the safe passage of reversing vehicles in confined spaces
- Identify areas of danger within the site
- Demonstrate HSE’s recommended code of signals
- Guide large goods vehicles, both rigid and articulated, using the above code of signals to HSE Guide Notes HSG136 standard
- Delegates will be equipped with the necessary assessing skills
- All delegates should be familiar with the latest edition of The Highway Code
- Delegates should wear suitable clothing, bearing in mind that the practical aspects of this course will be taught outdoors
- This course runs on a 3:1 delegate to trainer ratio.
- A good sized area of the yard, that is not in use, must be made available to conduct the training to ensure trainer and delegate safety. This must not involve using a public road.
- A vehicle must be supplied for use during training. We recommend that the type of vehicle supplied is similar to the type the yard is usually in receipt of, but if this is not possible a car can be used as long as the back windows are covered to get a realistic view of bringing a vehicle in safely.