Top ten tips to stay within the limit
Also available to download: as a factsheet and poster.
Many car drivers unintentionally exceed the speed limit, often without realising it. Modern cars are so powerful and comfortable they give drivers little sensation of their speed. It is too easy to creep above the limit, and in particular, many drivers believe it is difficult to drive a modern car at no more than 30 mph on a road with a 30 mph limit. Drivers are responsible for the speeds at which they choose to drive, but there are some simple and practical things drivers who find it difficult to stay with speed limits can do to help themselves.
- Check your speedometer regularly, especially when leaving high speed roads
- Know the limits – look for signs, especially at junctions
- Assume lamp posts mean 30 mph, until signs say otherwise, but remember it could be 20 mph
- Remember, speed limits are a maximum, not a target
- 20's plenty when kids are about – and may even be too fast
- Try no higher than 3rd gear in a 30 mph limit
- Recognise what makes you speed - keeping up with traffic, overtaking or being tailgated
- Concentrate – distracted drivers speed
- Slow down when entering villages
- Give yourself time – there's no need to speed and you won't get there quicker