A new work-based qualification for people who work in health and safety
What is the NVQ Level 6 Health and Safety?
The NVQ Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice is a new degree level work-based qualification. The qualification is evaluated by each candidates’ evidence, based on real-world, on-the-job training. You can even use your historic records as evidence to contribute towards your NVQ qualification. This qualification is recognised by The Institution of Occupational Health (IOSH) as a route to membership.
Why take the NVQ Level 6 Health and Safety?
This qualification assures the knowledge of those who influence health and safety standards within their organisations. If you have successfully completed your NVQ Level 5 within the last 5 years, or are in the process of completing an NVQ Level 5, it may be possible to update your qualification to Level 6. Your portfolio of evidence will need to be reassessed and transferred. We are unable to reassess evidence from more than 5 years ago as this is considered outdated.
Who is the NVQ Level 6 Health and Safety for?
The NVQ Level 6 Health and Safety is designed for those who provide health and safety assistance in organisations with significant hazards and complex risks, specifically at practising health and safety advisors with responsibility for influencing policy, or those aspiring to become safety consultants.
You will need to have some knowledge of health and safety, typically a NEBOSH National General Certificate or similar. You will also need to be in a health and safety role within your organisation, in order to generate and log evidence.
How long is the NVQ Level 6 Health and Safety?
The NVQ Level 6 Health and Safety must be completed within 24 months, but typically takes about 6 – 8 months to complete. Approximately 1,064 learning hours should be dedicated to completion of the qualification.
What is involved when completing the NVQ Level 6 Health and Safety?
Delegates will have a personal mentor throughout the qualification whilst gathering evidence and developing your NVQ portfolio. Typically around 140 pieces of evidence and the completion of 12 story boards is required for completion. All work will be done at your place of work and your mentor will guide you remotely, and you can visit your assessor if you wish.
What does the NVQ Level 6 Health and Safety cover?
- Promote a positive Health and Safety culture
- Develop and implement the Health and Safety policy
- Develop and implement effective communication systems for Health and Safety information
- Develop and maintain individual and organisational competence in Health and Safety matters
- Identify, access and control Health and Safety risks
- Develop and implement proactive monitoring systems for Health and Safety
- Develop and implement reactive monitoring systems for Health and Safety
- Develop and implement Health and Safety emergency response systems and procedures
- Develop and implement Health and Safety review systems
- Maintain knowledge of improvements to influence health and safety practice
How is the NVQ Level 6 Health and Safety assessed?
Delegates will generate evidence that will be signed off and approved by an assessor. Once learners have fulfilled all of the requirements set by ProQual, one of our internal verifiers will assess the work and sign it off as complete. Delegates will then be awarded the qualification.