While most of us are aware that cleaning items like bleach should always be kept out of the reach of children, there are some items that you might not have thought about, for example, the liquid laundry capsules that you pop in your washing machine.
As ever, supervision is one of the best ways to prevent this kind of accident – something we know isn’t always easy to do. However, the following steps can also help give you peace of mind:
- Keep all household chemicals – including liquid laundry capsules – out of the sight and reach of children, preferably high up in a locked cupboard
- Use cupboard latches to keep small children away from potentially dangerous products
- Always store household cleaning chemicals in their original containers
- Replace lids and put all products away immediately after use
- Dispose of unwanted household cleaning products safely.
Remember: If children have accidently ingested medication or household chemicals then medical treatment should be immediately sought.