South & City College Birmingham
South & City College Birmingham is one of the largest and most successful further education colleges in the West Midlands. The college provides a wide range of vocational courses and qualifications for over 12,000 students, including higher education and international courses.
The college's senior management drives health and safety by promoting effective communication and collaboration; this empowers and involves all employees and learners in the continuous improvement of the health, safety and welfare of their premises and activities.
Promoting safety reduces ill health and occupational hazards and ensures South Birmingham College has a safe working environment for all.
Objectives & aims at South Birmingham College
- To ensure that the health and safety management policy and procedures are put into place with the objective to keep all persons attending our premises free from risks and hazards and ensuring that employees and learners are safe in the workplace at all times, collectively working towards injury prevention
- To ensure the promotion of a positive culture, encouraging continuous health and safety improvement and awareness of current health, safety and environmental issues
- To develop effective relationships within the college and with legislative and peer organisations
- To encourage and promote college learning and develop a responsive health and safety culture where everyone has a voice and contributes to the on-going development for the benefit of the college
- Continuous devising of an effective means of communication throughout the college
- Ensuring that employees are adequately trained on safety protocols and prepared to respond to an emergency situation
- Ensuring that everyone takes the appropriate responsibility for their areas of activity, supporting them to plan and manage activities so that hazards are assessed and risk eliminated in so far as is reasonably practicable by appropriate protection and prevention measures.
"RoSPA's teaching methods were excellent, always engaging and the trainers were interested in everyone and their experiences. The trainers never rushed through the sections and always allocated time. I loved the venue, the staff and the trainers."
Dawn Francis-Jones - Health and Safety Manager
South Birmingham College case study
South Birmingham College is one of the largest and most successful further education colleges in the West Midlands